How else can I support your work?
- Interested in reaching our network of trans journalists? We have sponsorship opportunities and paid advertising.
- Are you a journalist willing to donate your time and expertise to lead skills trainings for our members? Reach out!
- Share our style guide and employer best practices resources with your newsroom and your colleagues.
- Are you a trans, nonbinary, or gender-expansive person working in media? Join our Slack for trans journalists, a service we offer regardless of whether or not someone is an active TJA member. Learn more about association membership on our members site.
- Does your news organization want to partner on programming related to best practices for trans coverage or employer policies? Let's chat.
- Does your employer offer donation matching through a program like Benevity? Some employers match donations to our fiscal sponsor, which can be earmarked for us. Share our work with your colleagues!
Email email@example.com to get in touch about any of these.
Can I pay for a membership or make a donation?
Membership in the TJA is free, but we have a suggested membership donation of $50 for journalist members and $100 for community members. We are a grassroots organization; more than 20% of our membership donates to support our work.
You can also talk to your newsroom or journalistic employer about whether they'll consider sponsoring us, or one of our events like TJA @ IRE2024, or making a larger donation.
Learn more on our fundraising guidelines.
How do I donate?
You can contribute to our organization directly through our donation page. If you'd like to donate by check or another platform, contact the Tiny News Collective's finance manager for information on how to mail a check written out to our fiscal sponsor with a memo for the Trans Journalists Association.
Is the Trans Journalists Association a nonprofit?
Yes, the Trans Journalists Association is incorporated as a nonprofit and is a fiscally sponsored project of Tiny News Collective Inc, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
What does that mean?
Tiny News Collective will receive grants for the TJA's charitable purposes of serving trans journalists and trans journalism, provide oversight to ensure that grant funds are used in accordance with grant agreements, and provide reports as required by the grantor.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes, your donation through Tiny News Collective is tax-deductible to the extent of the law, as long as no goods or services were exchanged. You will receive an email receipt of your donation for your records. If you need additional confirmation, contact Tiny News Collective's finance manager.
If you donate to the TJA directly, your donation is not tax-deductible because we do not yet have our own 501c3 designation.
What will my donation support?
We are a growing organization that is actively fundraising to launch new events and programs. Broadly, your donation will support our work to increase the accuracy and nuance of journalism on trans communities and the issues facing them, as well as our programs that seek to train and retain trans journalists in our industry.
What sort of programs are you developing?
For 2024, our priorities include securing funding to develop newsroom training programs, establish coverage grants for high-impact journalism on trans issues, and develop more robust quick-response infrastructure for newsrooms encountering complex reporting questions on trans issues. We also hope to expand existing programs that serve our membership of trans journalists and develop travel funds, formal mentorship programs, and more.