ONA23 — Aug. 23-26 in Philadelphia, PA
Official TJA events:
- Thursday, August 24 at 1 – 2:30 pm: Meetup in room 308!
- Friday, August 25 at 2:30 – 3:30 pm: "Beyond Trans 101: How to Plan and Manage Better Trans Coverage" with interim board member Kam Burns and association member Ellery Jones
- Friday, August 25 at 4 – 5 pm: "Table Talks: Trans Coverage"
NLGJA 2023 National Convention — Sep. 7-10 in Philadelphia, PA
Official TJA events:
- Thursday, September 7 at 11:00 am – 12:00 pm: "Framing and Facts: Getting Trans Coverage Right" with board members Gina Chua, Graph Massara, and Kae Petrin
- Saturday, September 9 at 2:45 – 3:45 pm: "Laws and Lives: Covering The Wave Of Anti-Trans Bills On The Road To 'Eradication'" with board members Adam Rhodes and Minami Funakoshi, plus association member Jo Yurcaba
Where: hotel bar
When: Thursday, September 7th from 5:30 – 6:30 pm!
Gather at the hotel bar to meet the TJA! Join us if you're interested in learning more about our plans and ambitions for the coming year, both to help drive better coverage of trans issues and to help trans journalists thrive in the industry. (Or just come and drink.)
And see members on other panels:
- Gina Chua on The Eroding Fourth Estate? Rebuilding Public Trust in Journalism
- Jo Yurcaba on Perfecting the Pitch: How to Get Your Story on the Air and on Digital and Dogma and Disinformation: Challenges in Political Reporting Today
- Katie Barnes on Self-Care for Trans and Non-binary Reporters and a TBD-titled panel on multi-platform storytelling for ESPN
- TJA social media manager Xan Hart on Covering LGBTQ+ Issues in Red States
2023 Global Investigative Journalism Conference — Sep. 19-22 in Gothenburg, Sweden
See Gina Chua speaking on Women in Investigative Journalism: Strategies for Thriving Together, as well as moderating Developing a Business Strategy Part 1 and Lightning Round: Favorite Tools and Techniques.
AccessFest 2023 — Oct. 12-14, online
Official TJA panel:
- Thursday, Oct 12 from 3:30 – 4:30 pm ET: "Beyond 'the medical debate': Envisioning high-impact/autonomy-centered coverage of anti-trans legislation" with board members Kae Petrin and Gina Chua, plus USC's Gabriel Kahn
- Friday, Oct 13 from 12 – 1:30 pm ET: "Transgender and GNC data sources" with board members Adam Rhodes and Kae Petrin, plus The 19th's Jasmine Mithani
And see TJA members on:
- Vivian McCall on Covering the radical right and other hostile online communities
SRCCON2023 — Oct. 17-18 in Minneapolis, MN
No TJA official panels! But, see association members at several sessions:
- Aarushi Sahejpal on How do you know what you think you know?: Epistemology for journalists
- Justin Myers on Don't believe the hype: How to stay grounded amid the latest tech bandwagon and encourage your colleagues to do the same
- Kae Petrin on How to use bad and limited LGBTQ+ data responsibly
RESONATE Podcast Festival 2023 — Nov. 3-4 in Richmond, VA
Listen to TJA cofounder Tuck Woodstock speak on Making Your Show a Community Hub.